You just can’t beat a homemade sauce for anything. Use this for braciole, lasagna, ziti – whatever. And it freezes awesome!
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c red wine
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1 t sugar
- ¼ c fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ c fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 T dried Italian seasoning)
- ¼ t fresh cracked pepper
In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook 2-3min until garlic is very lightly browned. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat for an hour, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and check for seasoning (may need to add a little more sugar if the tomatoes were too tart). If freezing, cool completely in the pan before transferring to plastic containers.