I make this every year on Christmas Eve for supper with Christmas Cranberry Meatballs. Helps that both recipes are so easy while I’m running around getting ready for Christmas. And with the tomatoes, chilies, and tri-color pasta, it sure looks the part! This is one of those special meals – when my kids are grown, they will always remember Christmas Soup!
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel Original tomatoes and green chilies
- 4 c Chicken Stock
- 1 c reduced fat sour cream
- 1 T fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 lb 2% Velveeta, sliced into 1-inch slices
- 1 (12 oz) box tricolor spiral shaped pasta, cooked al dente in heavily salted water
- Tostitos scoops chips
- crushed red pepper flakes (sprinkle on top)
In a crockpot, add all the tomatoes with the juice and the broth. Break up the stewed tomatoes into pieces with a spoon. Cook with the pot set on high 20 minutes.
Add the cheese and cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese melts. Whisk in the sour cream. Add the pasta and basil. Reduce heat to low, crack the lid to let steam escape, and cook 2-4 hours to thicken a bit. Serve topped with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and with Tostitos scoops.