One of the best parts of Thanksgiving is getting creative with the leftovers. Then again, leftovers of this easy casserole are even tastier the next day too.
Turkey Tamale Casserole
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheese (such as Mexican blend or pepper jack), divided
- 1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c whole kernel corn
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/8 t ground red pepper
- 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies
- Cooking spray
- 1 c Enchilada Sauce
- 2 c chopped, cooked turkey meat (or substitute chicken)
- 1/4 c fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/4 c crushed tortilla chips
- reduced fat sour cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a large bowl, Combine 1/2 cup cheese with the buttermilk, egg, cumin, salt, pepper, corn, Jiffy mix, and green chilies. Pour into a 13×9 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 20-25 minutes or until set and golden around the edges.
Take a fork and pierce the baked cornbread all over. Pour the enchilada sauce over top. Top with the turkey and remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes until cheese melts.
Remove from oven and top with crushed tortilla chips and fresh cilantro. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.